Tuesday 15 May 2018

River Paddling

Today we went canoeing out on the river. My canoe group was Owen, Matthew, and I and we all started out at the bottom of the Rivers dam and went to Mr. Mayor’s house. I was sitting in the middle of the canoe so I wasn’t doing that much, but I was pointing things out, helping steer, and stop. I learned why it is important to watch out for sweepers and strainers and big rocks in the water, and was able to watch Mr. Colsen and Miriam rescue Nathan and Jayden after they got stuck in the rapids. My group and I got very lucky a few times out on the river by almost hitting some big rocks and maintaining a good position through some rapids when people were hitting us from behind. There were some spots on the river where we had to get out and portage our canoe but the rest of the way was fairly calm. My favourite part of the trip was when we had to ferry and going through the small rapids. Overall, I thought that it was very fun especially when you have a good group and can’t wait till June 8th!

No comments:

Post a Comment