Monday 18 June 2018

Final Blog Entry

  1. What I remember the best from Outdoor Ed from this past year would probably have to be the full day of canoeing down the little Saskatchewan river. Though the trip went way longer than we all thought that it would be, I still had fun along the way! 
  2. What challenged me the most from this past year in Outdoor Ed would have to be the importance wetlands PowerPoint that we had to do that had to be at least 15 slides long. Some of the things were very hard to find and I felt like everyone had most of the same things on each of their PowerPoints. 
  3. What I found interesting to do in Outdoor Ed this year was when Barret Miller came to our school and helped us out with our interpretative skills. It was so cool to see how much of a natural he was at interpreting and I found that he helped us out a lot. 
  4. I would have liked to have more group work activities because its always a lot easier to do something when I have someone to do it with. I liked it when we worked on projects together like the natural leader posters, the wetlands ecosystems booklet, the frostbite games, and when the different schools came down to our wetlands. 
  5. The skills that I developed in this class that will be useful for me into the future would be having and knowing how to handle kids in certain situations whether they are fooling around or not paying attention. I also learned some really cool tips for how to build a ‘quinsy’ (I’m not sure how to spell it) if you were stuck outside and need a place to stay for the night. 
  6. I would suggest a little less repetitive work and projects on wetlands and more fun activities such as canoeing, camping and fishing. It feels like everything that we did on wetlands was just being repeated over and over again so I was really happy when we did something different like going canoeing down the river. 
  7. I would not be interested in paying for some more unique experiences such as going camping, hiking, fishing, and traveling to different places. I don’t like to spend my money on things such as camping or canoeing at different places when I am missing all of my other classes, because when we start to spend days out of school my projects start to pile up. 
  8. I thought that there was a good balance between outdoor activity and the outdoor theory in this course because it was good to watch videos on paddling strokes and what to do when something happens, and trying it out for yourself in real life. I feel like there is a little bit more of a connection between what you learned and what you just did when you are inside and out. 
  9. I would do less of learning about wetlands, and more of things such as surviving in the wilderness. Things like learning how to pack smartly before going on a hike or long trip, and survival skills like catching your own food or building a shelter in any season of the year. 
  10. I think that we should be doing more of the concepts/skill development activities because it is a chance to really put yourself to the test and learn how to live and survive on your own. It can help if for example you were stranded and you don’t know how long you were going to be alone for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment